Accessibility Program Manager
Over the past year and a half, I have pivoted in my career from engineering to accessibility program management. I convinced my employer, Blackhawk Network, to make me their first dedicated employee working on web accessibility. Within the first year, I developed a comprehensive accessibility plan that is being applied globally.
- VPAT Auditing
- Using Assistive Technology
- Project Management
- Quality Assurance
- User Experience Advocate
- Public Speaking
- Cross-department Collaboration
- CMS Experience: WordPress, Timber (WordPress + Sensio Twig)
- Responsive Development: Mobile-First Responsive Web Design
- User Experience: Experience with wireframing, prototyping and usability testing techniques
- Software: Adobe’s PhotoShop and Illustrator, PhpStorm and Balsalmiq
- Version Control: Github, Bitbucket, Git, SVN
- Build Management: Gulp, Bower, Grunt, Hologram, NodeJS, Webpack
BlackHawk Network (2020 – Present) Accessibility Program Manager permalink
As the accessibility program manager, I have:
Implemented an accessibility plan for each step of the software development lifecycle and agile process.
Released mandatory training and built a resource repository for product owners, designers, developers, quality assurance and customer service representatives.
Prioritized and audited several ecommerce sites from all across the globe producing:
- WCAG 2.1 AA, revised Section 508 and EN 301 549 compliance reports
- Detailed issues for bug tracking and
- A roadmap for remediation
When Blackhawk Network acquired Giftcards.com, I was brought on to help with the front-end of the site:
- Implemented the mobile optimized purchase flow with ReactJS that all of our products will use
- Managed the state of accessibility
- Optimized new areas of the sites to use flexbox and grid
- Audited the site for accessibility and tracked the progress in Confluence before adding bugs to Jira.
- Developed a custom responsive and accessible pattern library that is visible to the internal team as a code-based style guide using hologram and switched the site to Sass with a Gulp build process.
- Conducted discovery for the site’s content creators and detailed what needed to be developed in the CMS.
- Helped to implement the unifying of the products through a standard purchasing process
- Developed wireframes for the admin tool for a product
Oncology Nursing Society (2006-2013) Web Designer/Developer permalink
- Designed and developed responsive conference websites (Connections 2012, Connections 2013 and Congress 2013) utilizing HTML5/CSS3 and jQuery
- Implemented UX techniques such as wireframing, prototyping and usability testing
- Designed and developed TheCancerJourney.org website and logo (the main part of the site no longer exists)
- Developed several online courses (coded and designed interactive elements with the course facilitator)
- Learning Management System (LMS) administrator
Five Star Development (2004-2006) Flash Designer/Developer permalink
- Worked as part of a team to design and develop custom interactive elements for Heinz training modules. This project was developed using Flash, Dreamweaver and Photoshop.
- Designed and developed a complete set of training modules for Sharp Electronics (CD), which entailed a creating a custom player interface using Flash and implementing all of the content for the project.
- Other eLearning projects included: Sheetz, Ford, and US Steel.
Freelance Experience permalink
Kind Girls Mentor Program (2015) permalink
- Worked as part of a team to develop an accessible website as part of the Open Air Challenge
Advanced Window and Door (2009-Present) Web Designer/Developer permalink
Western PA Veterinarian Medical Association (2005) Web Designer/Developer permalink
- Created and designed a database driven website for the WPVMA utilizing HTML, CSS and PHP/MySQL. Created the original artwork, logo and Flash animation.
Master’s Degree in Media Arts and Technology. Graduated with a 4.0 GPA.
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Bachelor’s Degree in Multimedia and Web Design. Graduated with a 3.9 and on the Dean’s List.
W3C – Invited Expert
SVG Accessibility API Mappings
Accessible SVG using
Abstractions.io August 2019
Easy Peasy Accessibility
Wordcamp Pittsburgh September 2016
Make WordPress Accessible
Abstractions.io August 2016
OSCON Online June 2016
Make Your Awesome Things Accessible
Elements June 2016
OSCON May 2016
Make Your Awesome Things Accessible
CSS Dev Conf 2015